- This event has passed.
February 8 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
EXCLUSIVE EVENT FOR FLORIDA RESIDENTS!
2019 Florida Leadership Forum: Advocating with Impact
Feb. 8, 2019 | Orlando, FL
Learn how you can make an impact by working with your legislators to advocate for your community.
Florida community managers, homeowners and association board members, and business partners join together for an event that focuses on engaging in advocacy efforts with the state Legislative Action Committee and addresses legislative trends and hot topics that affect all aspects of community association living.
Attend the Florida Leadership Forum to experience:
- Expert advice on how to lobby for your community, how to get your legislators’ attention, and what it takes to submit a bill they’ll support
- Networking with fellow Florida advocates
- Hot Topics panel discussion
- Florida legislative updates and Q&A discussion
If you live in, work for, or provide services to a Florida community association, you’ll leave the Forum more informed, more engaged, and better able to advocate for a successful community.
THURSDAY, FEB. 7, 2019
5pm–7pm: Cocktail Reception
FRIDAY, FEB. 8, 2019
- 8:30am: Breakfast
- 9am–10am: Opening Remarks & Keynote Speakers – Dawn Bauman, CAE, Senior Vice President, Government & Public Affairs, facilitates a discussion with special guest from the Florida Legislature. They will discuss their thoughts related to community associations—condominiums and homeowners associations—and important advice on the most effective ways to for constituents to communicate with them.
- 10am–11am: What is the FL Legislative Alliance and Why Should I Care? The Florida Legislative Alliance Chair Michael Bender invites you to meet with him, CAI-FLA Lobbyist Travis Moore, and member of CAI-FLA Mary Macfie. They will discuss how the legislature works and how we can interact with the legislature to accomplish goals on behalf of Owners’ Associations. Learn what transpired in the most recent legislative session affecting our industry and what bills are being discussed for introduction in the coming session. The program will include an opportunity for questions and answers. Attendance will provide attendees with 1 CEU, and CAI-FLA members will be available throughout the day.
- 11:15am-12:15pm: Choice of three sessions:
- HOA’s, Condos and the Legislative Process – Every year, new laws pass that affect condos and HOAs. What is the lawmaking process? How do proposals pass through the House of Representatives and the Senate to become laws? What roles do Senators and Representatives play in this process–and what role do you play, as a citizen? Find out more about the legislative process in this fun and fascinating class! If you are a Community Association Manager (CAM) this presentation gives you 1-hour CEU
- Electronic Voting and More – More information coming soon! If you are a Community Association Manager (CAM) this presentation gives you 1-hour CEU
- Exclusive Business Partner Class – This class will be specifically for business partners.
- 12:30pm-1:30pm: Lunch
- 1:45pm-2:45pm: Choice of two sessions:
- An Introduction to Parliamentary Law – Want to hold smother, more orderly meetings? This workshop can help. In this essential guide to parliamentary procedure, participants learn how to avoid common meeting mistakes and how to handle common meeting situations. From the details of a quorum, to the proper steps in making motions, to the rules governing debate, to the various forms of voting, participants gain a deeper understanding of parliamentary procedure and develop a new confidence in handling meetings. The workshop features a fun, interactive question-and-answer format with animated slideshows. If you are a Community Association Manager (CAM) this presentation gives you 1-hour CEU.
- The Importance of Effective Communication – In today’s world of instant communications, we substitute emoticons, slang, abbreviations, short texts and soundbites instead of developing the skills to express what we really mean to say. Today’s digital devices capture too much of our attention and cause us to shortchange personal conversations while worrying about our virtual relationships. Highly effective people – in business, social, and personal relationships – inherently understand the importance of communication skills, which is why some people enjoy success while others continually encounter difficulties expressing themselves and understanding others without generating conflict, misunderstandings, and mistrust. If you are a Community Association Manager (CAM) this presentation gives you 1-hour CEU.
- 3pm-4pm: Hot Topics Panel Discussion – Topics to include, but not limited to: Impact of increasing numbers & severity of storms on insurance companies and rates; flood insurance; Assignment of benefits; FIGA. Attendees will also have an opportunity to ask questions! If you are a Community Association Manager (CAM) this presentation gives you 1-hour CEU.
Sheraton Orlando North
600 N Lake Destiny Rd.
Maitland, FL 32751
Standard Room Rates are $149 per night.
The room block and group rate expire on Jan. 8.
>>Click Here for Reservations
- Check In Time 3pm
- Check Out Time 12pm
- $3 self-parking per vehicle, per day ($12 value)
- All reservation must be accompanied by a first night room deposit or guaranteed with a major credit card.
- Cancellation is required 48hrs prior to arrival, otherwise subject to one night’s room/tax charge.
BEWARE OF HOUSING SCAM
Room poaching/pirating is a practice carried out by third-party companies that act as travel agencies, wholesalers or destination management companies to solicit registrants and exhibitors for room reservations for society or other organizations meetings.
Often room poachers/pirates may misrepresent themselves as CAI’s official housing provider and registrants and exhibitors may be contacted by fax, email or phone with offers for cut rate housing. The poacher might inform registrants and exhibitors that the hotel room block is “sold out,” and that if you do not book with them immediately, you may not get a room.
Early – Members by Jan. 25: $79
Early – Nonmembers by Jan. 25: $99
CAI Members After Jan. 25: $95
Nonmembers After Jan. 25: $115
Florida Communities is a professional event, so business casual wear is strongly encouraged.
Online Registration Note: If you are registering for this event on behalf of someone else, log in as yourself, and click on “Register 2 or More People for this Event.” Then click on the “Add a Registrant” button and proceed with the registration. Questions can be directed to phone: (888) 224-4321 or email@example.com.
For more information about the event, visit www.caionline.org/events/FLForum or call CAI Member Services at (888) 224-4321 (M–F, 9–6 ET).